Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Southern railways group’

Further to my post Talking Stock #4 Cabs and Deflectors, Bulleid Light Pacific variations about the many Bulleid Light Pacific class variations this post provides expanded information on the modifications I make to represent the original style cab as Hornby have yet to do a Bulleid Light Pacific body variation in this style.

Here is 21C102 "Salisbury" fitted with both the original style cab and also modified to include the short smoke deflectors that were as originally fitted to the first engines of the class when built.

To recap, when first introduced 21C101 to 21C163 had the original Bulleid style cab with narrow front lookout and two large side windows, the rear one of which slid forwards behind the front. Starting in July 1947 the cabs were modified, with a wedge shaped front (sometimes referred to a ‘V’ shaped) giving a larger front window area, it took until December 1955 to complete the modification to all.

Compare the cab with that fitted to 21C151 "Winston Churchill" which has the later modified wedge shaped cab and the standard length smoke deflectors.

As I model the period from 1946 to 1949 many of the Light Pacifics in service during that time would still have had the original style cab.

I have modified a number of the Hornby models so far by either fitting a  brass cab made from scratch or using the white metal castings from the Southern Railway Group replacing the existing Hornby version.

The original Hornby cab removed

Both methods require the original cab to be removed. Using a fine razor saw, I cut the base of cab off flush with the cab floor, the joint of the new cab here will be hidden once painted as it will coincide with the edge of the lining. Then, again with a fine razor saw, I cut vertically slightly to the rear of the existing cab front, finishing with a file, and then cut across the roof about 2mm back from the row of rivets in line with the cab side front.

The Scratchbuilt cab in place. The front of the cab is simply made from Milliput filler.

Firstly scratch brass cab, I make new cab sides and roof as one piece from 18-thou brass.   The new sides need to be curved to the correct profile and then a tighter curve blending into the cab roof. I use the profile of the tender side / rear spectacle plate as a match for the cab sides and followed the curve of the original Hornby cab for the side to roof transition curve and roof profile itself.  Windows frames are from Jackson Evans. Once the new cab is glued into place, I fitted a white metal cab roof shutter (Westward) and representations of the cab lifting bales bent into the correct shape from 5-thou 1/32″ brass strip. The ends of the rear cab overhang are bent downwards slightly as per the prototype.

The SRG white sides fixed in place.

The second method and the one I tend to use the most now are the cast white metal sides from the Southern Railway Group. These are supposed to replace the whole depth of the side of the cab but cutting the whole side off makes it a little tricky to keep the cab square on reassembly due to the weakening effect it has on the original Hornby body, I therefore keep the bottom edge of the cab side and cut the castings to suit.

s21C148 'Crediton' as modified using the SRG castings

The original Hornby rear spectacle plates (and handrails) are reused and glued into place and any slight gap between them and the new cab side filled with Milliput. As these are painted clear plastic the actual window area will need to be masked prior to repainting the model.
Using these methods I have been able to add a number of Bulleid Light Pacifics to my fleet in their original condition to enable a number of the prototypes variations to be seen on Fisherton Sarum.

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: