* The class had a very successful career and when electrification of the Brighton lines started to displace them they found new jobs elewhere. Initially cut down slightly by reducing the height of the boiler mountings and rounding-off of the cab roofs to work on the Eastern section, they subsequently moved further afield with, from 1938, four being allocated to Salisbury shed to work trains from there to Portsmouth and, in 1941, two going to the GWR at Worcester where they easily handled the traffic normally worked by that company’s Prairie tanks. By 1943, however, all of the class had returned to the Central section.
All images in this blog are copyright myself and or Chris Nevard / Hornby Magazine / Model Rail and or Paul Bason / BRM Magazine (see links above) and or Andy York posted here with their kind express permission, unless otherwise credited.
This Web Site and any of its contents may not be copied, translated or distributed in any manner (electronic, web or printed) without the prior written consent of Graham Muspratt.